Friday, June 6, 2008

Youth Delegates and Article 7

Since I have been asked to actually blog here, maybe its time to participate.

My name is Erik Parker and my regular blog is Cowboy Seminarian. This is my second convention and at both I have been a visitor of sorts. Last time in Red Deer I snuck my way onto the youth delegation... at age 23 and having completed my first year of seminary. This time around I was slated to come again as a visitor. I am currently doing my seminary internship at Hope Lutheran in Calgary. Sharon Villetard called me about a week ago to ask if I would help with the power point, because I apparently I know about about technology, maybe its my age but I hope its not my reputation... I do hope to get married someday and being the techno geek will not help that cause.

Anyways. being a visitor again has been a weird experience. I am involved with Synod things like CTEL (as a sem student), I have been on the LOMAN committee for several years now. Yet I have no voice or vote. Not that I am particularly bothered by this because its likely that I have many Synod convention as a rostered delegate in my future. But its an interesting position to be in. I get to observe perhaps a little more than the regular delegates.

The most interesting thing so far (as mentioned by the other bloggers) has been the vote on youth delegates. Since I could not speak to the motion at the time, I will speak to it here. While I see Kevin as young, I probably can more considered in the "youthish" range. The intent of this motion is the right one, however, I the desired results will not happen automatically.

If we really want youth to come to an event like this, and thereby become future members of the church, we need to be more intentional about including them. Saying they are welcome to this gathering is not enough. In fact the results that I see happening is that no more youth than usual will come, but its possible that other groups within the church will want to be considered specially as delegates for future conventions.

But to be honest who the delegates are doesn't matter to me as much as getting youth involved. The young people of this church do not need to be treated specially. They need to treated as full members who have voice and vote within the decision making of our congregations. They need to be given (and helped with) responsibility in our churches. Rock music, power point, video games are not the things that will get youth into the church, in fact it does the opposite. It tells that they are special case but not really like the rest of us. Rather we need to teach our youth about what is means to participate in the fullness of the life of the church by teaching and educating them about who we are and what we do, not guessing at who they are and what they like to do. But know who we are might take some serious reflection on our part.

Article 7 of the Augsburg Confession States: 1] Also they teach that one holy Church is to continue forever. The Church is the congregation of saints, in which the Gospel is rightly taught and the Sacraments are rightly administered.


How are the discussions, decisions and actions that happen here helping us to proclaim the Word rightly and make the presence of God known authentically in our lives, our churches and the world? Hopefully that is what are here to work this out together in the midst of our LOL:)



1 comment:

Brian said...

I welcome the possibility of including more youth as delegates at church events.

If it's a matter of appeal, they of course should be included in the planning and implementation.

If it's a matter of conflicting commitments, perhaps negotiations with their schools/universities could lead to their earning academic credit for such involvement.

If it's a matter of feeling out of place, they may feel more at home in a setting similar to that of their daily lives, with all the cultural, ethnic, economic, political, sexual diversity which that entails. Perhaps they could help the church move in that more inclusive direction, doing mission "with" others, rather than just "for" others.

I had hoped we might have a youth rep or two at the Global AIDS Conference in Mexico City this summer--not enough money, I'm told. Or short-sighted prioritizing? The ACC sent 6 or 8 youth to Toronto in 2006. I trust they aren't regretting their investment.

Brian, in San Salvador